Puppet Power 2018: Story
Conference on Applied Puppetry, Calgary, AB, Canada
Exploring how Puppetry, entwined with Stories, can connect, empathize and make meaning of our world today.
Conference dates May/early June 2018 – exact weekend dates TBA.
We want to hear your stories!
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Do you perform provocative, moving, socially impactful stories that address the issues of our time? Do you use puppetry arts to lead community-based projects that promote positive social change? Do you deliver workshops on puppetry that lead participants to self-realization; build community or impact in some other way?
We are inviting puppeteers and puppet theatres to propose a:
- 90 minute Talk/Demo about your storied experiences and/or
- 3 hour Hands-On workshop on a facet of puppetry i.e.: manipulation, shadow puppets
- Deadline for proposals is August 15th, 2017.
- Conference dates May/early June 2018 – exact weekend dates TBA.
- We pay travel costs to Calgary, accom/food, and free conference registration and presenter fee.
- Open to local, national or international proposals.
- This is a conference – we are NOT looking for actual performances although you can talk about a performance.
Thematic Brainstorming: Crafting our Premise – Story writing: Step one
“Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world today” —Robert McKee
“A difference, to be a difference, must make a difference” – Dr Noble Farr
False news- Appropriation- Reconciliation
Fact is False and Story is True
Thomas King – “The Truth about Stories”
Night of the Tales – each of us has something to tell
Importance of Narrative -Forgotten Stories
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you” –Maya Angelou
“Danger of a Single Story” — Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The 100 Languages Reggio Emilia – story telling with talking, writing, drawing, painting, wire sculpture, clay modeling, dancing, acting
“Loose Parts” “Land stories”
Please fill in the below form to apply: