Help us raise money for View from the Inside on Canada Helps
View from the Inside is a puppetry based arts project exploring the experiences of Calgarians who struggle in different ways with mental wellness. WP Puppet Theatre launched the program in the Autumn of 2015 and delivered workshops to four non-profit organizations. We now can offer this program to other organizations and guide participants through an art making process where stories inspire the creation of mask – body puppets. Funds raised through Canada Helps will help offset some of the costs to enable us to deliver this program to more people.
Emerging research suggests that creative arts therapies and experiences can help to reduce anxiety and increase self-esteem and quality of life. View from the Inside gives participants the opportunity to bring to light their experiences of challenge and resiliency through art making, storytelling, drama and movement, live puppetry performance and media technologies.
While the individuals who participate in the program may face many barriers including homelessness, learning delays, and isolation; a common thread that binds us all together is the essential experience and fluid nature, the highs and lows, of mental wellness. Participants will explore their creativity, problem solving skills and stories of hope.
Using a community engagement process, develop a puppetry based arts experience that will give voice to the stories of people with mental health challenges.
• Create empathy, provide understanding/acceptance and initiate conversation on mental wellness
• Provide opportunities and promote self- knowledge for recognition and diagnoses for youth with mental illness
• Create beautiful visual art and meaningful dramatic pieces
In 2015/16 we collaborated with four partner agencies, for the delivery of 16 workshops in total (4 sessions of 4 workshops each). We hope to bring this program to more agencies in 2016-17 with your help!
- Circle of Supportswhose mandate is to strengthen school engagement of Aboriginal youth with the goal of High School graduation
- Studio C, an award-winning collaborative art centre in downtown Calgary who breaks down barriers and creates an inclusive culture through the arts.
- Pathways to Housing, a project of The Alex, which supports chronically homeless individuals who suffer from major mental illnesses or struggle with the justice system.
- United Active Living at Garrison Green who aims to transform the experience of aging through a strong commitment to active living.
ABOUT WP PUPPET THEATRE:
W.P. Puppet Theatre Society is a not-for-profit, charitable organization committed to producing professional, innovative, Canadian puppet theatre as well as delivering enjoyable and socially responsible learning experiences through the art of puppetry. We seek to spark curiosity and provide understanding about the world we live in, examine the issues of our time, consider solutions and inspire our audiences to become active, ethical and involved citizens.
Since 1991 we have toured to Calgary schools, theatres and community events performing original and unique puppet theatre productions and offering a wide range of learning opportunities for children and adults to over 5000 audience members annually. We provide our programs, products and services to young and adult audiences locally, nationally and internationally including:
· Performances, workshops, residencies, and professional development for schools
· Performances and workshops for community events and festivals
· Commissioned puppetry pieces and community engagement workshops
· Puppet Power Conference, a biennial conferencethat examines the power of puppetry beyond performance