We remember our 2018 Conference on Applied Puppetry, June 1-3, 2018, in Calgary, AB, Canada.
Our Puppet Power conferences help people discover a new way to impact change in the world by using puppetry. The conference presents key learnings and tools vital to professionals in education and healthcare, therapists, and visual and performing artists. Sparking the imagination, the conference is for anyone inspired to express themselves creatively, develop personal and professional skills and promote positive social change.
At our 2018 conference we explored the transformative power that puppetry has to tell stories, inspire dialogue and make meaning of our world today!
Offering world-class professional development, Puppet Power 2018 featured award-winning local and international presenters and master puppeteers, sharing their stories and skills in an educational, engaging and fun environment through hands-on workshops, talks, panels, and special networking events.
Our 2018 conference featured speakers from around the globe including:
- Jovanka Rivi, Pedagogista, Reggio Children, Italy
- Mike Czuba of Dancing Monkey Laboratories (Calgary), the “animateur” for the conference
- Emma Fisher of Beyond the Bark (Ireland) & Ivan Owen (USA)
- Andrew Periale, editor of Puppetry International – UNIMA USA (New Hampshire)
- Ann Powell and David Powell of Puppetmongers Theatre (Toronto)
- Amihan Bonifacio-Ramolete of Teatrong Mulat Ng Pilipinas (Mulat Theatre) (Philippines)
- Juanita Dawn of The Long Grass Studios (Calgary)
- Nan Balkwill of the Canadian Academy of Mask and Puppetry (Calgary)
- Sonia Norris (Toronto) who will be speaking about her collaboration with Handspring Puppet Theatre (South Africa)
- Sylvia Kind from Capilano University (Vancouver)
- Pia Banzhaf from Michigan State University (USA)
- Glenn Taylor (Calgary)
- Ken Bighetty, Kelsey Bighetty and Russell Bighetty of Bighetty Puppets (Pukatawagin, Manitoba)
- Plus fun from Calgary Animated Object’s Society’s Dolly Wiggler Cabaret
Thank you to our sponsors, partners and volunteers!