Puppet Power 2020: Puppets Go Existential
A puppet rises from a fabric heap on stage, animated by a power beyond itself, and it wonders—who is pulling my strings? What happens if I cut them? Am I my own puppet?
May 29-31, 2020
Calgary, AB CANADA
Our conference will go ahead in some way shape or form. We are monitoring the advisories and will do our part to keep everyone safe.
For World Puppetry Day 2020 we’re pleased to announce the amazing speakers, from around the world and locally that we’ve engaged to be part of our “Festival of Ideas”.
See here for their bios and presentation information.
- We’re currently looking into moving the event to a full virtual streaming platform and watchable videos or some combination of in person and live stream presentations.
- This will adjust our ticketing prices to nominal fees and hopefully everyone will find they can log in for a talk, workshop or panel check out a video. We’re aiming to finalize this direction by April 15 2020.
- Miracles happen and if the conference proceeds as planned with live speakers and an invigorating gathering of puppet enthusiasts we’ve extended the Early Bird Registration for the full conference until April 30.
- WPTS will issue a full refund (less processing fees) to registrants who are unable to travel/attend the conference due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.
- Bursary applications are now closed. People currently holding bursaries will be contact with further details.
- We will keep you posted!
Exploring Life’s Big Questions
As a metaphor for human experience the puppet provides a fun yet impactful way of exploring life’s big questions. Puppet Power 2020 will present puppeteers whose work relates to the existential considerations of our time: Climate Action, Artificial Intelligence, Culture & Identity, Hope & Human Agency.
The Puppet Power conference helps people discover a new way to impact change in the world by using puppetry. The conference presents key learnings and tools vital to professionals in education and healthcare, therapists, and visual and performing artists. Sparking the imagination, the conference is for anyone inspired to express themselves creatively, develop personal and professional skills and promote positive social change.