Professional Development through Puppetry
WP Puppet Theatre Professional Development through Puppetry builds skills and provides inspiration on how to use the power of this art form in any setting. Our Professional Development programs are great for anyone who works with children—classroom teachers, play-school workers, recreational therapists, Brownie leaders, students and more.
We can also design custom programs to meet your specific needs, including Online Delivery.
Our workshop facilitators are Wendy Passmore-Godfrey and Barb English
Wendy and the WP Puppet Theatre provided a wonderful and theoretical and practical presentation for the learners at MRU in the Early Learning and Child Care program. We were given insight into the beautiful and wonderful world of puppetry and the many benefits this type of play provides for children and adults. Learners had the opportunity to see first hand how they can introduce puppets in their work with young children, while also having the opportunity to play and explore themselves. We are excited to see the positive impact this will have on Educators’ practice and their work with young children as we all work to support Dramatic Play and the Arts in the lives of children and adults.
MRU inservice – January 2023
I am a student at Mount Royal who took your puppet workshop! We had a conversation at the end about doing puppets in my practicum class with the toddlers. I finally did it with them today and It went amazing! I never would have thought to use the socks and add stuffing, they absolutely loved it and it solved our ‘biting puppets’ issue!
I attached a photo of some of the puppets we made and just wanted to send you a big thank you for the idea. I hope we see you again soon, I know my peers also had a lot of fun and enjoyed seeing all of your ideas as well at the workshop! 🙂
Why professional development with puppets?
- Provides increased understanding of the child. Children often reveal more information about their thoughts and feelings when playing with a puppet—about their home, concerns, fears and wishes.
- Enables you to see differently. In participating in puppet play you may strengthen your relationship with the child. You become a teller of tales—a magic maker!
- Enhances your own creativity. Regardless of whether you have used puppets for a long time or are new, you will discover hidden talents as an artist, performer or educator.
- Provides alternative learning experiences. Equal importance must be given to the major areas of growth and development: cognitive, social, emotional and physical aspects of the individual. Puppets can integrate into all these areas allowing your students to encourage and build these skills.
- Provides an atmosphere of fun! For you and your kids!
“Wow! Fabulous—lots of great ideas for the classroom that are practical and yet full of ‘adventure’!” – Joyce (teacher)
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org