WP Puppet Theatre’s puppetry-based workshops and residencies are offered in-person OR online. Workshops can be designed to meet your particular needs or situations. Please contact us to discuss.
Also available for community events!
All workshops include:
- Facilitation or Demonstration of Puppet construction
- Puppeteer warm up exercises and animation tips
- All supplies, tools OR if online, a complete supply list.
- Teacher resources, lesson plans, curriculum links, scaffolding suggestions, pre and post assessment tools.
- Maximum preferred class size ~ 30 students
A few samples of the workshops we offer:
Emotional Colours (A Courage Journey Program*)
- Division 1
- Exploring different emotions and how they make you feel.
- Anchor Book: The Color Monster or When the Angry Ogre Visits
- Curriculum Connections: Math, Health & Wellness, ELA
Caterpillar Shape Puppet
- Grade 2
- Anchor Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Curriculum Connections: Science, ELA, Math
Jumping People Puppet
- Grade 1-3
- Anchor Book: What is my Superpower? or The Snowy Day
- Curriculum Connections: Social Studies, ELA, Math, Science
Diverse World (A Courage Journey Program*)
- Grade 3-4
- Expressing global communities and cultural/ societal diversity.
Animal Paper Puppets
- Division 2
- Anchor Book: Can be linked any curriculum or book
- Curriculum connections: Math, ELA
When Stuff is Shadowy (A Courage Journey Program*)
- Grade 3-4
- When we’re angry and unsure about how to appropriately express ourselves and when things aren’t clear, stuff is shadowy.
- Check out our On Demand course “Playing with Shadows” as an alternative.
Self Portrait Puppet
- Grade 5
- Anchor Book: The Day you Begin by J. Woodson
- Curriculum Connections: ELA, Math
- Grade 6
- Anchor Book: Legends of Rock, Paper, Scissors
- Curriculum Connections: ELA – symbol, metaphor, personification
Simple Four String Marionette
- Grade 5-6
- Curriculum Connections: Math, ELA,
- Division 2
- Paper folding techniques – many based on 2 and 3 D geometry
- Curriculum Connections: Math, Art
*Courage Journey Programs
Use the power of puppetry to promote awareness and discussion of mental health and wellness. These workshops support social – emotional learning in diverse groups of students as well as help to develop community, foster resiliency and gain a voice for participant’s stories
“This workshop was very engaging for our students. It had a great balance of hands-on work time and time to interact with each other. Connecting puppetry to our Social Studies programming was a great way to connect with abstract ideas. We LOVED it!”
Puppetry is an umbrella for literary, visual and dramatic art forms. A workshop can be a scaffold to further learning and support development of the following competencies:
- Critical thinking,
- Problem solving,
- Managing information,
- Creativity and innovation,
- Cultural and global citizenship,
- Personal growth and well-being